Attendance and Certification
Contemporary Yoga (CY) faculty acknowledge and welcome the wide-range of skills and knowledge that students bring with them to the 200-hour training and to our Advanced Trainings and other events.
Students prior knowledge supports the Kaupapa contributing to a strong community of learning. We honour and value each student’s contribution which forms the fabric and dynamic of the collective learning environment that occurs on the training.
Our 200 hour course is registered with Yoga Alliance and Yoga New Zealand. We value our association with these organisations and honour the commitment to ongoing professional learning and development by ensuring students leave our courses having completed all parts of the training before they are eligible for our certificate of completion. We believe this upholds the integrity of our training and contributes to our high professional standing in the yoga community.
For the above reasons, students must attend all parts of the training. The 200 hour course is a complete, integrated course and students are asked to commit to attend ALL parts of the training.
We do not cross credit prior learning due to the holistic nature of the 200 hour course.
We acknowledge that a circumstance (eg illness, bereavement) may arise where a student misses some part of a course. If this occurs, our expectation is that the student will make-up these hours*:
by arrangement with CY Teacher Training to “make-up” session(s) missed by attending relevant session(s) at a future training. This is at the discretion of CY Teacher Training and if space allows in that training.
by private arrangement with one of the CY teachers. This is at the discretion of CY Teacher Training and the arrangement must be agreed to by the CY directors. This option incurs additional costs to the student.
There are some sessions that cannot be made up in another training due to the sensitive and/or group nature of the learning, for example, trauma-sensitive sessions and practicum. Missing these sessions will mean that a private arrangement with one of the CY teachers will be needed incurring additional cost to the student.
If any part day or session during the last four days of a 200 hour course are missed, all four days will need to be undertaken in a subsequent training in order to be eligible to receive CY certification. This requirement is due to the nature and dynamic of the last days of training which include a number of final teaching practicums.
Terms and conditions of certification
The Contemporary Yoga 200 Teacher Training certificate will be awarded to students who have, to the satisfaction of the CYTT faculty:
- demonstrated strong engagement and commitment in all course content
- demonstrated practice that is of a level equivalent to a beginning yoga teacher including a proficient understanding of student and personal safety, ethics, professionalism, asana, meditation, pranayama, anatomy, physiology and yoga philosophy
- passed all assessments
- met attendance requirements; and
- has no fees owing.
We reserve the right not to certify any student who we feel:
- has been significantly absent (more than one day), and that this absenteeism has not been made up in extra coursework, make-up sessions, or in some other way that has been agreed by CY Teacher Training
- is not ready for teaching in a public space (this is normally due to issues around safety)
- has not engaged fully in the course. Examples of this may include not participating in any teaching practicums, not handing in a journal and other assessment work etc.
Please see Preparing for the Teacher Training, for further details on the journal and required/recommended reading.
In respect of all the above, we reserve the right to amend and add to these at any time. Please check this page regularly for updates.
If you have any questions about please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org